The flavours here are similar to those of tabbouleh, but this salad has more substance.
- 200 gm cracked wheat freekah
- 1 bunch each coriander, flat-leaf parsley and mint, coarsely chopped
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ preserved lemon, pith and flesh discarded, skin rinsed under cold running water
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- ½ large telegraph cucumber, diced
- 6 mini Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Cook freekah in a saucepan of boiling salted water over high heat until tender (10-15 minutes). Drain and stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly, then combine in a bowl with remaining ingredients, toss to combine, season to taste and serve.
This recipe is from the November 2009 issue of .