This fresh and fast mixed bean salad recipe works as both a light dinner idea and excellent side dish. It's packed with cherry tomatoes, mixed beans and chickpeas, and is topped with a generous amount of mozzarella before serving.
- 150 gm marinated mixed pitted olives, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 100 gm green beans, trimmed
- 100 gm Roman beans, trimmed
- 100 gm sugarsnap peas
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 400 gm can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 250 gm medley tomatoes, halved
- 200 gm buffalo mozzarella, torn
- 1For dressing, combine olives, chilli, lemon juice, herbs and fennel seeds in a large bowl. Season to taste; set aside.
- 2Preheat a lightly greased chargrill pan over high heat. Toss beans, sugar snap peas and oil together in a bowl; season to taste. Chargrill beans and sugarsnap peas, in batches, turning occasionally, until tender and charred (4-6 minutes).
- 3Add hot beans to dressing and gently toss to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes for flavours to be absorbed. Add chickpeas and tomatoes; gently toss to combine. To serve, place on a platter and top with mozzarella.
For a more substantial meal, this dish will work equally well with chargrilled steak or fish served on top.