- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 220 gm field mushrooms (about 3), quartered
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 4 thick slices crusty light rye bread
- To serve: radicchio salad
- 150 gm each Gruyère and mild Cheddar, coarsely grated
- 125 ml organic ale
- 50 gm fine fresh crustless light rye breadcrumbs (2/3 cup)
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch paprika and cayenne, or to taste
- 1Heat a grill on high heat. For rarebit, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste.
- 2Heat butter in a large frying pan over high heat, add mushrooms and thyme and stir occasionally until mushrooms are golden (3-5 minutes). Season to taste and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, place bread slices on an oven tray and toast, turning once, until golden (1-2 minutes each side). Top with mushroom mixture and crumbled rarebit mixture. Grill on centre shelf of oven until golden and melted (3-5 minutes). Serve hot with radicchio salad.
This recipe is from the August 2010 issue of .