- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pieces beef fillet (about 500gm), at room temperature
- 200 gm baby green beans, trimmed
- 2 yellow baby beetroot (see note), peeled and thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 4 baby beetroot, peeled and thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 4 cups (loosely packed) wasabi leaves (see note)
- 1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn
- 125 ml buttermilk (½ cup)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Season beef and cook, turning occasionally, until golden (3-4 minutes). Transfer to an oven tray and roast until medium-rare (8-10 minutes), then set aside to rest (5 minutes). Cut across the grain into thick slices and set aside.
- 2Blanch beans in boiling salted water until bright green (1-2 minutes). Drain and refresh, then combine in a bowl with beetroot, wasabi leaves and parsley.
- 3For buttermilk dressing, whisk buttermilk, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and oil in a small bowl to combine, then season to taste.
- 4Drizzle dressing over salad, add beef, toss lightly to combine and serve.
If baby yellow beetroot are unavailable, substitute regular baby beetroot. Wasabi leaves have a slightly peppery bite similar to horseradish and are available from select delicatessens. If they’re unavailable, substitute baby rocket.
This recipe is from the December 2011 issue of