- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pieces beef fillet (about 500gm), at room temperature
- 200 gm baby green beans, trimmed
- 2 yellow baby beetroot (see note), peeled and thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 4 baby beetroot, peeled and thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 4 cups (loosely packed) wasabi leaves (see note)
- 1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn
- 125 ml buttermilk (½ cup)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Season beef and cook, turning occasionally, until golden (3-4 minutes). Transfer to an oven tray and roast until medium-rare (8-10 minutes), then set aside to rest (5 minutes). Cut across the grain into thick slices and set aside.
- 2Blanch beans in boiling salted water until bright green (1-2 minutes). Drain and refresh, then combine in a bowl with beetroot, wasabi leaves and parsley.
- 3For buttermilk dressing, whisk buttermilk, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and oil in a small bowl to combine, then season to taste.
- 4Drizzle dressing over salad, add beef, toss lightly to combine and serve.
If baby yellow beetroot are unavailable, substitute regular baby beetroot. Wasabi leaves have a slightly peppery bite similar to horseradish and are available from select delicatessens. If they’re unavailable, substitute baby rocket.
This recipe is from the December 2011 issue of
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am