- 2 bunches Dutch carrots, trimmed, halved
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 100 gm softened butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 spatchcock (500gm each), butterflied
- 3 leeks, trimmed and quartered
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Combine carrot, oil, half the rind and half the thyme in a large roasting pan, season to taste and place in oven while you prepare the spatchcock.
- 2Combine butter, garlic, remaining rind and thyme in a small bowl, season to taste. Heat half the garlic butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add spatchcock skin-side down and cook until browned (2-3 minutes).
- 3Add leek to roasting pan, dollop vegetables with remaining garlic butter, then place a wire rack over pan. Place spatchcock skin-side up on rack and roast, basting occasionally with remaining garlic butter, until spatchcock are cooked through and vegetables are tender (15-20 minutes). Stir parsley and lemon juice through vegetables, season to taste. Halve spatchcock and serve hot with vegetables and pan juices.
This recipe is from the August 2011 issue of .