The köfte (step 1) can be made a day ahead. You’ll need 4-6 metal skewers for this recipe.
- 1 small Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp each dried chilli flakes and dried mint
- 800 gm coarsely minced lamb
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- To serve: shop-bought hummus, coriander, lemon wedges and warm flatbread
Warm carrot salad
- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 90 gm thick plain yoghurt
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Process onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat 30ml oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion mixture, stir occasionally until tender (2-3 minutes). Add ground coriander, spices and mint, cook until fragrant (1 minute). Transfer to a large bowl, refrigerate to cool, add lamb and lemon rind, mix with your hands until mixture comes together (2-3 minutes). Mould ¼-cups of mixture into oval shapes and thread 2 onto each metal skewer.
- 2Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add skewers and cook, turning occasionally, until browned (3-4 minutes). Transfer to oven and cook until cooked to your liking (5-6 minutes for medium).
- 3For warm carrot salad, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onion and garlic, stir occasionally until tender (3-4 minutes), add carrot and stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes). Remove from heat, add yoghurt, lemon rind and juice, season to taste and serve with lamb köfte, hummus, coriander, lemon wedges and warmed flatbread.