- 1 barbecue chicken, meat removed and coarsely shredded, bones reserved
- 400 gm dried somen noodles
- 100 gm salted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 60 gm ginger, finely chopped
- 150 gm mixed Asian mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and black fungus, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp gochujang (optional; see note)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) dumpling sauce (see note)
- 3 baby bok choy, thickly sliced diagonally
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Enoki mushrooms and coarsely chopped coriander, to serve
- 1Place chicken bones in a large saucepan, cover with boiling water (about 2.5 litres). Bring to the boil and cook until well flavoured (15-20 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve.
- 2Meanwhile, cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender (1-2 minutes). Drain noodles and divide among serving bowls.
- 3Melt butter in the same pan over medium heat. Add onion and stir occasionally until softened (3-5 minutes). Add garlic and ginger, stir for 1 minute, then add chopped mushrooms and stir until softened (2 minutes). Add gochujang and dumpling sauce and stir to coat.
- 4Add stock to pan and bring to the boil, then add the bok choy and simmer until tender (1 minute). Add chicken, spring onion and enoki, stir to warm through, season to taste, then ladle soup over noodles. Top with coriander to serve.
Gochujang is available from Asian grocers and select supermarkets. If you can't find it, substitute another chilli condiment to taste. Dumpling sauce is available from select supermarkets.