- 4 flat-iron (oyster blade) steaks (about 180gm each)
- 8 thin sourdough slices
- Melted butter, for brushing
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 120 gm mature truffled brie (see note), thinly sliced, at room temperature
- Aïoli, to serve
- 4 grilled artichokes (see note), sliced
- 2 cups (loosely packed) rocket, coarsely chopped
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ tbsp currants, soaked in 1 tbsp red wine vinegar with a pinch of sugar
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Season steaks and pound to 5mm thick.
- 2Heat the oven grill to high. Brush bread with butter and grill, turning once, until golden (2-3 minutes each side).
- 3Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat until smoking. Add steaks and fry, turning once, until browned and cooked to your liking (1½ -2 minutes each side for medium-rare to medium). Top each steak with sliced brie (so it melts) and leave to rest.
- 4For artichoke salad, toss ingredients, including the vinegar the currants were soaked in, in a bowl and season.
- 5Spread 4 bread slices with aïoli, and top with steak and a little artichoke salad. Spread remaining bread with aïoli, sandwich and serve with any remaining salad.
Truffled brie is available from select delicatessens and cheese shops. Substitute brie, or another truffle-flavoured cheese, such as pecorino. Grilled artichokes are available from delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: The best nebbiolo you can afford. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.