A cut-it-yourself bar with crunch from roasted nuts and candied popcorn and with ultra-dark chocolate binding it all together. You could also try candying nuts instead of popcorn.
- 80 gm coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 200 gm coconut oil
- 90 gm popping corn
- 200 gm honey
Bitter chocolate glaze
- 200 gm bitter dark chocolate (85%-90% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 5 gm coconut oil
- 1For candied popcorn, preheat oven to 180°C and line a 26cm x 13cm loaf pan with baking paper. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp coconut oil, then the corn, then cover with a lid and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until popping stops (4-8 minutes). Transfer to a tray and cool to room temperature. Cook honey in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, swirling occasionally until caramelised (6-7 minutes). Add popcorn and remaining coconut oil and stir to coat, then spoon into loaf pan, pressing firmly to compact popcorn into an even layer. Refrigerate until firm (20-30 minutes).
- 2For chocolate glaze, melt chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Pour glaze over the popcorn so the chocolate runs into any gaps, then scatter with hazelnuts and return to refrigerator to set (1-2 hours). Cut into slices to serve (this is easiest with a serrated knife). Bars will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm