- 30 asparagus spears, trimmed
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 100 ml blood-orange juice, plus finely grated rind of 1 blood orange (see note)
- ½ golden shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 ml warm clarified butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chervil, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 1Blanch asparagus in boiling salted water until bright green (1 minute), refresh, drain and set aside. Just before serving, drizzle with olive oil and season to taste.
- 2Combine vinegar and half the juice in a small saucepan over high heat, add shallot and reduce to 50ml (5-10 minutes). Strain into a large heatproof bowl, add yolks and whisk over a saucepan of simmering water until thick (3-4 minutes). Turn off heat. Whisking continuously, add butter in a thin steady stream until thick and emulsified (3-5 minutes). Stir through remaining juice, rind and chervil and serve warm with asparagus scattered with chervil sprigs.
Note If blood oranges are unavailable, substitute oranges or ruby grapefruit.