- 30 asparagus spears, trimmed
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 100 ml blood-orange juice, plus finely grated rind of 1 blood orange (see note)
- ½ golden shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 ml warm clarified butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chervil, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 1Blanch asparagus in boiling salted water until bright green (1 minute), refresh, drain and set aside. Just before serving, drizzle with olive oil and season to taste.
- 2Combine vinegar and half the juice in a small saucepan over high heat, add shallot and reduce to 50ml (5-10 minutes). Strain into a large heatproof bowl, add yolks and whisk over a saucepan of simmering water until thick (3-4 minutes). Turn off heat. Whisking continuously, add butter in a thin steady stream until thick and emulsified (3-5 minutes). Stir through remaining juice, rind and chervil and serve warm with asparagus scattered with chervil sprigs.
Note If blood oranges are unavailable, substitute oranges or ruby grapefruit.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am