Nestling eggs in a baking dish with other ingredients is a beautiful way to cook them as they will take on all the flavours. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 210 gm (1 cup) dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp each of smoked sweet paprika and ground cumin
- 400 gm canned whole tomatoes
- 180 gm baby English spinach leaves
- 6 eggs
- To serve: crusty bread
- 1Drain chickpeas and combine in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover completely. Bring to the boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, simmer until just tender (50 minutes-1 hour), drain, set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add onion and garlic and sauté over low-medium heat until caramelised (8-10 minutes). Add spices, sauté until fragrant (1 minute), then add tomato, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Stir through chickpeas and 250ml water, simmer until thick (8-10 minutes), then season to taste and stir through spinach.
- 3Spoon chickpea mixture into a shallow 4 litre-capacity ovenproof dish. Make eight indents in mixture with a spoon, crack an egg into each, then bake until eggs are just set (15-20 minutes). Serve hot with crusty bread.