When it comes to the ideal sandwich to serve with drinks, chances are it will involve cheese and some kind of charcuterie. We've opted for mortadella and provolone with a thick spread of mascarpone for tang and creaminess. Pickled chillies provide piquancy and radicchio cuts through the richness.
- 1 loaf schiacciata (30cm), halved (see note)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 150 gm mascarpone
- 150 gm sliced mortadella
- 4 jarred pickled green chillies, thinly sliced
- 150 gm provolone piccante
- ½ small head radicchio, leaves torn
- 1Preheat a grill to high and preheat oven to 180C. Drizzle cut sides of schiacciata with olive oil and place cut-side up on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Spread the base with mascarpone, top with mortadella, green chilli to taste and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Layer provolone over top half of schiacciata, season to taste then grill both halves until mascarpone and provolone are bubbling (2-3 minutes). Remove from grill, top base with radicchio, sandwich with top, then slice into fingers and bake on oven tray until crisp (5-6 minutes). Serve hot drizzled with olive oil.
Schiacciata, similar to focaccia, is available from select bakeries and delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Tangy, dry lambrusco. Drink suggestion by Max Allen