Finger limes are one of our favourite native ingredients - their tiny little pearls pop and burst on the tongue with refreshing acidity, and they're a natural pairing for oysters, whether they're cooked briefly on the barbie as we've done here, or served natural.
- 18 unshucked oysters
- Thinly sliced spring onion and finger lime, to serve
- 70 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 3 finger limes (see note), pearls squeezed out
- 1For finger-lime mignonette, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 2Heat a barbecue to high heat. Place oysters on the grill and cook until the shells pop open. Remove lids, loosen the oysters from the shells with a sharp knife, spoon mignonette on top, scatter with extra spring onion and finger lime and serve.
Finger limes are available from select greengrocers.
Drink suggestion: Good vintage blanc de blancs sparkling.