This salad is great as a side dish or as part of an antipasti.
- 60 gm walnuts
- 2 small beetroot, shaved on a mandolin
- 1 golden shallot, shaved on a mandolin
- 1 radicchio, coarsely torn
- 150 gm Gorgonzola dolcelatte
- For drizzling: vincotto
- For drizzling: extra-virgin olive oil
Pickled roasted beetroot
- 2 small beetroot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 220 ml red wine vinegar
- 110 gm caster sugar
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1For pickled roasted beetroot, preheat oven to 200C. Place beetroot in a small roasting pan with olive oil and 60ml water, season to taste, cover and roast until tender (1 hour). Cool, peel and transfer to a bowl. Meanwhile, combine vinegar, sugar, 2 tsp sea salt, thyme, bay and 120ml water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, pour over beetroot and set aside to cool and marinate (1 hour). Drain (reserve pickling liquid) and arrange on a platter.
- 2Meanwhile, roast walnuts on an oven tray until golden (5-10 minutes). Coarsely chop and set aside.
- 3Combine shaved beetroot and shallot in a bowl, then scatter half over pickled beetroot. Scatter with half the radicchio, then repeat with remaining shaved beetroot mixture and radicchio. Scatter with Gorgonzola and walnuts, drizzle with 1 tbsp pickling liquid and a little vincotto and extra-virgin olive oil, and serve.
This recipe is from the April 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Pale, dry sangiovese rosato. Drink suggestion by Max Allen