- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 110 gm plain flour (¾ cup)
- 90 gm buckwheat flour (¾ cup)
- 1 egg, separated
- 40 gm unsalted butter, melted (2 tbsp)
- ½ tsp white sugar
- 185 ml lukewarm milk (¾ cup)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 175 gm salmon roe
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, separated, whites chopped, yolks passed through a sieve
- To serve: Crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1Combine yeast and 190ml warm water in a large bowl, stir to dissolve, then stand
in a warm place for 10 minutes or until foamy. Slowly whisk in plain flour, then cover with a clean tea towel and stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 2Meanwhile, in a separate bowl combine buckwheat flour, raw egg yolk, 1½ tbsp melted butter, sugar, milk and ½ tsp sea salt and whisk to combine, then gently fold into yeast mixture. Cover and stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until risen by half.
- 3Whisk raw eggwhites until soft peaks form and fold through batter. Heat a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, brush with remaining butter and cook tablespoonfuls of batter, in batches, for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles appear, then turn and cook for another minute or until cooked through. Keep warm.
- 4Serve blini with onion, salmon roe, hard-boiled egg and crème fraîche.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chef's RecipesIcebergs' ricotta with white poached quince and honeyYesterday 10:14pm