This sundae can be assembled at a pinch completely from shop-bought ingredients. Be generous with the limoncello – the more it gets absorbed by the sponge, the better the result. If you have time, spread the sponge pieces over a tray and drizzle them with the limoncello an hour before assembling the sundaes.
- 200 ml limoncello
- 500 gm blueberries (about 4 punnets)
- To serve: vanilla ice-cream (good shop-bought)
- 4 eggs
- 8 egg yolks
- 250 ml lemon juice (1 cup)
- 220 gm caster sugar (1 cup)
- 160 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 gm plain flour (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ¼ tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1For lemon curd, lightly whisk eggs, yolks, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan over low heat to combine, then stir continuously until mixture thickly coats the back of a spoon (8-10 minutes). Remove from heat, add butter a piece at a time, stirring well between each addition, until melted and combined. Transfer to a container, cover closely with plastic wrap and refrigerate to chill. Lemon curd will keep refrigerated for 3 days.
- 2For sponge cake, preheat oven to 180C. Whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer until thick, pale and doubled in volume (6-8 minutes). Sift one-third of flour over, fold to combine, then sift remaining flour over, fold to combine, add melted butter and lemon rind and fold in gently to combine. Pour into a 20cm-diameter springform tin that’s been buttered, lined with baking paper and floured and bake until golden and centre springs back when lightly pressed (15-20 minutes). Stand to cool (20 minutes), then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cake will keep stored in an airtight container for 2 days.
- 3Cut sponge into pieces, coarsely crumble into serving dishes and drizzle with limoncello. Top with blueberries, a spoon of lemon curd and scoops of vanilla ice-cream and serve immediately.
This recipe is from the February 2013 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am