Think of this as a cauliflower cheese: the Brussels sprouts edition. The sprouts here are lightly steamed, so they retain a slight crunch.
- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 50 gm (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 400 ml milk
- 150 ml pouring cream
- 80 gm Taleggio, rind discarded, broken into small pieces
- 500 gm Brussels sprouts, trimmed, outer leaves discarded
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming, then add flour and stir continuously until sandy coloured (1-2 minutes). Gradually add combined milk and cream, whisking continously until smooth and incorporated (4-6 minutes). Bring to the boil, stir in Taleggio and season to taste.
- 2Steam Brussels sprouts in a steamer until almost tender (5-7 minutes), then drain and transfer to a buttered 2-litre ovenproof dish.
- 3Pour sauce over sprouts, scatter with thyme and bake until golden and bubbly (20-30 minutes). Serve hot.
This recipe is from the May 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Hoppy IPA. Drink suggestion by Max Allen