This crudo salad would work well with a variety of vegetables. The Pecorino Toscano adds a nice sharpness – the stronger Pecorino Romano could overpower the dish. Some marinated white anchovies scattered over the top would be most welcome, too.
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled, shaved on a mandolin
- 3 inner celery stalks, shaved diagonally on a mandolin, plus leaves
- 2 radishes, shaved on a mandolin
- 40 gm Pecorino Toscano, shaved (see note)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp caster sugar
- 80 ml pouring cream (1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1For basil cream, whisk lemon juice, mustard and sugar in a bowl to combine. Add cream and basil and whisk to combine, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Scatter kohlrabi, celery, radish and pecorino over a platter, drizzle with basil cream and scatter with tarragon and anchovies, then serve.
Pecorino Toscano is available from select Italian grocers and David Jones food halls. If it’s unavailable, substitute Pecorino Sardo.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of