A snack grilled on a skewer is a fast and easy party starter. These prawns are lightly flavoured with the peppery-herbal notes of native pepperberry. No pepperberry? Black pepper is a nice alternative.
- 1 tsp pepperberries (see note)
- 60 gm light palm sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fish sauce
- 20 medium uncooked prawns, heads and tails removed, cleaned
- Macadamia oil, for brushing
- 1 finger lime, halved
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- 1Crush pepperberries with a mortar and pestle, then stir in palm sugar and fish sauce until sugar dissolves. Thread prawns onto skewers through the centre lengthways, then brush lightly with the pepperberry mixture and a little macadamia oil. Refrigerate until required.
- 2Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to medium-high heat and grill prawns, turning occasionally, until opaque and just cooked (2-3 minutes). Squeeze finger lime and lime juice over prawns, season to taste with sea salt flakes, scatter with coriander and serve with lime wedges.
Pepperberries are available from select supermarkets, online from native ingredients suppliers, and Herbie's Spices.