- 2 (375gm each) butter puff pastry sheets, rolled to 4mm-thick (see note)
- 500 gm cherries
- 60 gm organic ground cane sugar (see note)
- 100 gm blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp organic ground cane sugar
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- 150 ml thickened cream
- 2 tbsp pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Cut six 14cm rounds from puff pastry and place on a baking paper-lined oven tray, top with baking paper and another baking tray and bake until deep golden (10-15 minutes).
- 2For cherry compote, halve and pit cherries, leaving 8-12 whole. Combine with sugar in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and liquid seeps from cherries (3-5 minutes). Keep warm.
- 3For almond crumble, roast almonds until golden (2-4 minutes), process until coarsely ground, add sugar and pulse to combine.
- 4For soured cream, whisk crème fraîche, cream, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl to soft peaks, cover and refrigerate.
- 5Serve puff pastry rounds topped with cherries and almond crumble scattered over to taste and soured cream to the side.
Note Carême puff pastry comes in pre-rolled 375gm sheets. If unavailable, substitute with another good-quality butter puff pastry. Organic ground cane sugar is available from select delicatessens. Substitute with light brown sugar or raw caster sugar.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersHow to make fresh pasta (it's easier than you think)Yesterday 3:00am