- 1.5 kg carrots, coarsely chopped (about 12)
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic head, halved horizontally
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- Finely grated rind and juice of 3 lemons and 1 orange
- 600 ml buttermilk
- 250 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 3 tbsp finely chopped dill, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- To serve: pea shoots (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Scatter carrot, onion and garlic on oven trays lined with baking paper, drizzle with oil, scatter with lemon and orange rinds, cover with foil and cook until just tender (1-1½ hours). Remove foil, roast until golden and very tender (45 minutes-1 hour), then cool to room temperature.
- 2Squeeze garlic from skins and return to carrot mixture. Process carrot mixture in a food processor in batches, adding buttermilk, orange juice, two-thirds of the lemon juice and 600ml iced water, until smooth. Pass through a coarse sieve, pressing to extract all liquid (discard solids), season to taste, refrigerate until chilled (3-4 hours).
- 3Meanwhile, combine yoghurt, dill, spring onion and remaining lemon juice in a bowl, season to taste. Serve soup with yoghurt, scattered with pea shoots and extra dill sprigs.
Drink Suggestion: Hunter semillon with a few years of lemony/toasty bottle age. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm