Topping these cookies with salted roasted macadamia nuts adds a moreish salty-sweet element and extra crunch. Try salted peanuts or pistachio nuts for a bit of variety.
- 130 gm gm plain flour
- 20 gm Dutch-process cocoa
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 90 gm butter, at room temperature
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- 100 gm dark chocolate (54%-58% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- 60 gm salted roasted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 180C and line baking trays with baking paper. Sieve flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Beat sugar and butter in an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and beat to combine. Add flour mixture and stir to just combine, then stir in a third of the chocolate.
- 2Pinch off walnut-sized pieces of dough and place on baking trays, pressing to flatten slightly, leaving a 5cm gap between each. Dot tops with macadamias and remaining chocolate and bake, turning trays partway through cooking, until cookies are set and becoming firm at the edges (12-15 minutes). Cool until firm enough
to transfer to a wire rack, then cool completely (25-30 minutes). Cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersEveryone's making sourdough; we're making focacciaYesterday 7:30am
- Fast RecipesSpiced yoghurt chicken with cardamom-coconut pilafYesterday 6:00am