For the ultimate spring salad, seek out the best of the season's produce, and simply toss through a zingy feta dressing. It doesn't get much easier than this. If you're taking this to a picnic or barbecue, transport the greens and the dressing separately to avoid a soggy salad, then toss them together just before serving for perfect crispness.
- 150 gm sugarsnap peas, trimmed
- 150 gm green beans, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 150 gm (1¼ cups) frozen peas
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, coarsely chopped
- 1 baby cos lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 100 gm feta, crumbled
- 1For feta dressing, shake oil, lemon, vinegar and garlic in a screwtop jar to combine, season to taste, add feta and refrigerate until needed.
- 2Blanch sugarsnap peas and beans until bright green and just tender, adding the frozen peas in the last minute of cooking (1-2 minutes; see cook's notes p192). Drain, refresh in iced water, then drain well and toss in a bowl with cucumber and lettuce. Store in an airtight container until required.
- 3To serve, toss greens with feta dressing in a serving bowl.
Drink Suggestion: Grassy sauvignon blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen