These delicious chicken rolls are a fantastic party snack.
- 70 gm dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ each firmly packed coriander and Vietnamese mint leaves
- 4 baby cucumbers, shaved widthways on a mandolin
- 2 R2E2 mangoes, thinly sliced
- 12 each large betel and perilla leaves (see note)
- Micro amaranth, toasted black sesame seeds and lime wedges, to serve
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed, bruised
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (220 gm each)
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) lime juice
- 140 ml fish sauce
- 65 gm (¼ cup) finely grated light palm sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 long green chilli, finely chopped
- 1For coconut-poached chicken, place ingredients in a large deep frying pan over high heat. Bring to the boil, skimming any impurities that rise to surface (5 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a cartouche and simmer gently, turning halfway, until three-quarters cooked (12-15 minutes). Remove pan from heat and stand, covered with cartouche, until cooked through (20-25 minutes). Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and shred into a large bowl. Add 60ml poaching liquid. Reserve remaining poaching liquid for another use, such as a soup.
- 2Meanwhile, for dipping sauce, whisk ingredients in a bowl until combined. Taste the dressing; it should be sweet and sour, hot and salty, adjust if desired.
- 3Place vermicelli in a large bowl, pour over enough boiling water to cover and stand until tender (3-4 minutes). Drain well, then using scissors, cut into rough 3cm lengths. Add noodles, spring onion, sesame oil, herbs, cucumber, mango and a quarter of the dipping sauce to the chicken; toss to combine.
- 4To serve, top betel and perilla leaves with 2 tbsp chicken and mango filling and scatter with amaranth and sesame seeds. Serve with remaining dipping sauce and lime wedges.
Betel and perilla leaves are available from select Asian grocers.