The dressing is sweet, sour and salty - feel free to add more chilli to ramp up the heat and really get the party started.
- 500 gm picked crab meat
- 1 green mango, shredded
- ½ cup finely grated fresh coconut
- ¼ cup each finely chopped mint and Thai basil
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 30 betel leaves (see note)
- For frying: peanut oil
- 6 red shallots, thinly sliced
Green chilli dressing
- 1 small green chilli, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 40 gm light palm sugar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp each lime juice and fish sauce, or to taste
- 1For fried shallots, preheat oil in a wok to 180C. Add shallot in batches and stir continuously until golden (2-3 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper.
- 2For green chilli dressing, pound chilli and garlic in a mortar and pestle to a fine paste, add palm sugar, pound to break up, then add lime juice and fish sauce and stir until palm sugar dissolves.
- 3Combine remaining ingredients (except betel leaves) in a bowl, add dressing and toss to combine. Place tablespoons of mixture on betel leaves, top with fried shallots and serve.
Note Betel leaves are available from Asian grocers.