- 50 ml olive oil
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) sage
- 6 slices mild pancetta, coarsely torn
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 250 ml chicken stock (1 cup)
- 350 gm frozen peas, defrosted
- 400 gm dried orecchiette
- 60 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add sage and cook until crisp (1 minute), then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add half the pancetta, cook until crisp (1-2 minutes), then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion and garlic to pan, sauté until tender (2-3 minutes), add chilli and remaining pancetta and sauté until crisp (1-2 minutes). Add stock, simmer until reduced by one-third (2-3 minutes), add peas and cook until just tender (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat, add lemon rind and juice, season to taste, then process with a hand-held blender until coarsely chopped.
- 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (6-8 minutes), drain and return to pan. Add pea mixture and parmesan, stir well to combine. Serve hot, scattered with crisp sage, reserved pancetta and extra parmesan.