This is a classic Venetian dish, traditionally served with soft polenta.
- 1 kg cuttlefish
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, stalks thinly sliced, leaves picked and coarsely chopped
- 375 ml red wine (1½ cups)
- 6 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 100 gm small wild or Ligurian olives
- 1Clean cuttlefish, leaving skin and ink sacs intact, then thinly slice (don’t rinse). Place cuttlefish and ink in a bowl. Set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add onion and parsley stalks and cook until very soft (about 10 minutes). Add cuttlefish and ink, wine and tomato and simmer until liquid reduces, sauce thickens and squid is very tender (about 40 minutes). Stir through olives and parsley leaves and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Young sangiovese. Drink suggestion by Max Allen