- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ tsp each smoked sweet paprika and cayenne, or to taste
- To serve: baby cress
- To serve: anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250 ml (1 cup) olive oil
- 1Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add eggs and cook until hard-boiled (10 minutes), then refresh. Peel, then halve widthways, remove yolks and place in a bowl. Trim bases of eggwhite halves so they sit flat and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, for aioli, process yolks, lemon juice, garlic and mustard in a food processor until combined, then, with motor running, add oil in a thin steady stream, scraping sides of processor occasionally with a spatula. Process until thick and combined, season to taste. If aioli is too thick, add a few drops of hot water to thin. Makes about 250ml. Aioli will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 week.
- 3Mix 125ml aioli, or to taste, with cooked egg yolks, add spices, season to taste, then beat until smooth and fluffy. Dollop onto eggwhites, transfer eggs to plates, scatter over cress and serve with anchovies.