- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 200 gm raw caster sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- 120 gm plain flour
- 80 gm almond meal
- 50 gm butter, melted and cooled
Sherry and cinnamon syrup
- 110 gm (½ cup) raw caster sugar
- 125 ml sweet sherry
- 3 cinnamon quills
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Whisk eggs, sugar and cinnamon in an electric mixer until triple in volume (12-15 minutes), then sieve in flour and almond meal. Fold in with a metal spoon, then fold in melted butter. Fill six 1 cup-capacity metal dariole moulds to 1.5cm below the tops. Bake until risen and golden (25-30 minutes), turn off oven and cool cakes with oven door open for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
- 2Meanwhile, for sherry and cinnamon syrup, combine sugar and 120ml water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook until syrupy (2-3 minutes), add sherry and cinnamon quills and cook for another 2 minutes. Pour over cakes (discard quills) and serve dusted with extra cinnamon.