- 70 gm fine sea salt
- 8 chicken thigh fillets
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 500 ml buttermilk (2 cups)
- 300 ml milk
- 4 eggwhites
- 350 gm plain flour
- 50 gm rice flour
- 2 tsp each onion powder and sweet paprika
- 1 tsp each finely ground white pepper, garlic powder, finely ground dried thyme and dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
Coleslaw with buttermilk dressing
- 400 gm white cabbage (about ½), diced
- 2-4 golden shallots, to taste, finely chopped
- 100 ml buttermilk
- 100 gm good-quality mayonnaise (⅓ cup)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Large pinch of caster sugar
- ¼ cup chopped chives (about 1 bunch)
- ½ cup each torn flat-leaf parsley and dill
Soft pull-apart rolls
- 185 ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- 30 gm butter
- 450 gm plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 15 gm caster sugar
- 10 gm dried yeast (about 1½ sachets)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1Bring salt and 2 litres water to the simmer in a large saucepan over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Cool completely, add chicken and refrigerate to brine (overnight).
- 2For coleslaw with buttermilk dressing, combine ingredients (except herbs) in a non-reactive container, season to taste and refrigerate for flavours to develop (overnight). Add herbs just before serving.
- 3For soft pull-apart rolls, combine milk and butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir occasionally until melted (5 minutes). Remove from heat, add 135ml water and set aside to cool to lukewarm. Combine remaining ingredients with a large pinch of salt in a bowl. Add milk mixture and mix until smooth, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, adding more flour as necessary to form a very soft dough. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and set aside until doubled in size (40 minutes). Knock back dough, knead until smooth, divide into eight and roll into balls. Place in a lightly oiled 22cm-diameter cake tin, leaving space between each to expand, cover with a damp tea towel and set aside until doubled in size (30-40 minutes). Preheat oven to 180C. Brush rolls with milk, dust with flour, then transfer to oven and bake, rotating tin occasionally, until cooked through and golden (20-30 minutes). Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes, then remove from tin and cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over medium-high heat, drain chicken, add to boiling water and cook until just cooked through (8-10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- 5Heat oil in a large saucepan to 180C. Combine buttermilk and milk in a bowl. Whisk eggwhite to soft peaks in a separate bowl, then fold through milk mixture. Combine flours, onion powder, spices, garlic powder and herbs in a separate bowl. Dip chicken in milk mixture, dust with flour mixture, then repeat. Deep-fry in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and hot (5-7 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper. Stuff chicken and coleslaw with buttermilk dressing into soft pull-apart rolls and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Aussie chardonnay. Drink suggestion by Max Allen