The key to this dish is to add the dressing straight from the pan while it’s warm and eat the salad without delay.
- 80 gm walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 frisée, coarsely torn
- 1 white witlof, thinly sliced
- 1 apple or pear, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
Bacon fat dressing
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 gm fatty bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. For bacon fat dressing, rub a frying pan with cut side of garlic, add oil and bacon and stir occasionally over medium heat until fat renders and bacon is crisp (10-20 minutes). Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Add mustard and vinegar to pan, stir to combine, season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Place walnuts on an oven tray, roast until golden (5-10 minutes), then cool. Combine frisée, witlof, apple, chives, walnuts and bacon in a large bowl. Add dressing, toss to combine, season to taste and serve immediately.
This recipe is from the June 2012 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: Light, fruity, sparkling cider. Drink suggestion by Max Allen