- 100 ml olive oil
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 700 gm baby beans, trimmed
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 1Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering, add shallots and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp and browned (2-3 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Add garlic to oil and fry, stirring occasionally, until pale golden (1 minute), then add lemon rind and stir occasionally until garlic and rind are crisp (30 seconds). Strain in a metal sieve into a heatproof bowl and set aside to cool (reserve oil).
- 2Blanch beans until bright green and just tender (1-2 minutes), drain, refresh in iced water, then drain well. Halve lengthways (optional) and arrange on a platter.
- 3Transfer 50ml reserved oil to a small bowl (discard remainder), whisk in juice, vinegar and mustard, and season to taste.
- 4Scatter fried shallot, garlic and rind, and mint over beans, drizzle with dressing and serve.