- 4 spring onion bulbs, trimmed
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 3 baby cos, tough outer leaves discarded, outer leaves separated, hearts quartered
- ½ cup (loosely packed) chervil sprigs
- 30 ml verjuice
- 20 ml tarragon vinegar
- 1Thinly slice spring onion horizontally with a mandolin and separate into rings. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Test oil temperature by dropping a spring onion ring into oil. If it sizzles and rises quickly to the top, the oil is ready. Fry spring onion until light golden and crisp (1-2 minutes), strain through a fine strainer into a heatproof bowl, transfer spring onion rings to absorbent paper to drain, set aside to cool. Reserve 60ml oil for dressing, cool.
- 2For verjuice dressing, whisk together reserved oil, verjuice and vinegar in a bowl until well combined, season to taste.
- 3Combine lettuce and chervil in a bowl, drizzle with verjuice dressing and toss to combine. Scatter with spring onion rings and serve immediately with remaining dressing.