Any strong or stinky cheese will work with this recipe.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 100 gm butter, softened
- 120 gm soft goat’s cheese
- 180 gm each Gruyère and Tilsit, finely grated
Pickled Spanish onion
- 120 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Spanish onions, finely shaved
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, dry roasted and coarsely crushed
- 1For pickled Spanish onion, combine 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, remove from heat, add remaining vinegar, onion and coriander seeds. Set aside until lightly pickled (15 minutes).
- 2Preheat a char-grill over medium-high heat. Spread one side of bread slices with butter and turn over. Spread half the slices (unbuttered side) with goat’s cheese and sprinkle with grated cheeses. Sandwich with remaining bread (buttered side up). Grill sandwiches, pressing with a spatula until golden and cheese melts (1-2 minutes each side). Serve with pickled Spanish onion.
Drink Suggestion: Hoppy pale ale. Drink suggestion by Max Allen