Adding the herbs after cooking gives the ham a really fresh taste. This is delicious served with a creamy potato salad.
- 3 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 180 gm pine nuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1 easy-carve leg ham (about 7kg; see note)
- 2 bunches coriander, finely chopped
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ preserved lemon, pith removed, skin washed and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- For brushing: pomegranate molasses
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Dry-roast spices, cool slightly, finely grind in a spice grinder, transfer to a bowl, set aside.
- 2Remove skin from ham (discard), place in a large roasting pan and roast until ham is warmed through (1-1½ hours).
- 3Meanwhile, combine pine nuts, herbs, preserved lemon and lemon rind in a large bowl, add spices, season well to taste and stir to combine.
- 4Brush ham liberally with pomegranate molasses, then pat herb mixture onto ham, pressing to coat well.
Note Easy-carve hams are available from your butcher but may need to be ordered ahead.
Drink Suggestion: Fragrant rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen