This salad really captures the wonderful briny ocean flavours of the seafood. Enjoy it with a lovely bottle of fiano and a crisp green salad on a lazy afternoon.
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 1 kg mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 12 medium uncooked prawns, peeled
- 2 calamari, cleaned, tubes cut into rings and tentacles reserved
- 12 scallops, roe off
- 4 inner celery stalks, thinly sliced, plus leaves reserved, to serve
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- To serve: coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and dill
- To serve: lemon wedges
Preserved lemon dressing
- 75 gm (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ preserved lemon, rinsed, flesh discarded, rind finely diced
- 1Bring wine to the boil in a large saucepan, add mussels, cover and cook until opened (3-5 minutes). Remove with tongs and set aside, then, when cool enough to handle, remove mussels from shells and transfer to a bowl (discard cooking liquid).
- 2Heat a char-grill pan over high heat, add prawns and turn occasionally until cooked (3-5 minutes). Place in bowl with mussels. Add calamari to pan in batches and turn occasionally until just cooked (2-3 minutes), then transfer to bowl with mussels and prawns, season to taste and set aside. Add scallops to pan and grill, turning once, until medium-rare (30-40 seconds each side), then add to other seafood and mix to combine.
- 3For preserved lemon dressing, whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice and preserved lemon in a bowl to combine and season to taste.
- 4Drizzle preserved lemon dressing over seafood, add celery, onion and herbs, toss to combine and serve with extra lemon wedges.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .