The meaty flesh of swordfish is very popular in Italy, particularly in the south. You can serve the fish as steaks or break it up and toss it through this salad of fennel, oranges and green olives.
- 4 swordfish steaks (about 200gm each and 1cm thick)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
- 3 fennel bulbs, shaved, fronds reserved
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced
- ½ Spanish onion, shaved
- 16 large green olives, cheeks cut off pits
- 1 cup (loosely packed) each mint and parsley, coarsely torn
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Heat a frying pan over high heat, brush swordfish with oil, then scatter with fennel seeds and season to taste. Cook, turning once, until golden and just cooked through (2 minutes each side). Set aside on a plate.
- 2For citrus dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl, season to taste, then pour half over fish (reserve remainder) and set fish aside.
- 3Combine fennel, orange, onion, olives and herbs in a bowl, pour remaining dressing over, toss to combine, and serve scattered over fish.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .