- 500 gm thick natural yoghurt
- 25 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 6 ripe but firm nectarines, halved
- 100 gm honey
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ½ orange, thinly peeled rind only
- 1 orange, juice only
- 2 tsp orange-blossom water
- 1Spoon yoghurt into a muslin-lined sieve placed over a deep bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to drain.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Dot butter over the base of a baking dish large enough to hold nectarines snugly in a single layer. Place nectarines cut-side up in dish, drizzle with honey, scatter over cardamom, vanilla bean and seeds and orange rind. Pour over orange juice, bake until tender and golden (15-20 minutes). Sprinkle over orange-blossom water and serve warm or chilled with a dollop of labne.
ALSO IN SEASONFRUIT
Apricots, bananas, berries, cherries, currants, lemons, lychees, mangoes, passionfruit, pineapples, plums, rockmelons, tamarillos.
VEGETABLES Avocados, beans, capsicum, celery, chokoes, cucumbers, eggplant, lettuce, okra, onions, peas, radishes, squash, tomatoes, zucchini.
Balmain bugs, goldband snapper, mud crab, Sydney rock oysters. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
This recipe is from the January 2010 issue of