- 220 gm caster sugar (1 cup)
- 190 gm softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 280 gm plain flour, sieved
- 50 gm almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 185 ml milk (¾ cup)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 50 ml lime juice
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 165 gm caster sugar (¾ cup)
- 2 eggwhites
- 1For lime curd, whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl to combine, then whisk in lime juice. Transfer to a saucepan, add butter and stir continuously over medium heat until just simmering (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat, strain into a sterilised container and refrigerate until thick and cold. Makes about 150ml. Lime curd will keep refrigerated for 1 week.
- 2Preheat oven to 170C. Beat sugar, butter and lime rind in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl and beating well after each addition. Stir in flour, almond meal and baking powder until smooth, add milk and lime juice and stir to combine. Spoon into 12 buttered and floured 125ml metal dariole moulds (there may be a little mixture left over). Smooth tops, bake until risen and golden (15-20 minutes), turn out of moulds, cool on a wire rack. Scoop out centres of cakes with a melon baller or teaspoon and fill with lime curd.
- 3For Italian meringue, combine sugar and 60ml water in a saucepan and stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook until syrup reaches 115C on a sugar thermometer (2-3 minutes), then remove from heat. Meanwhile, whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (1-2 minutes), then slowly add hot syrup, whisking continuously on low speed, then whisk on high speed until thick, glossy and cooled to room temperature (6-8 minutes). Transfer to a piping bag with a 1cm nozzle and pipe peaks on top of cakes, making sure you cover all the curd. Brown meringue quickly with a blowtorch and serve with strawberries.
Drink Suggestion: Tangy botrytis riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am