Prepare large jugs of cordial, adding vodka or rum to the mix for a fresh summer cocktail. This recipe makes 3 cups of cordial.
- 550 gm coarsely chopped very ripe mango (about 3 mangoes)
- 375 gm raw caster sugar
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised, plus extra to serve
- 5 cm piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 60 ml lime juice, or to taste (¼ cup)
- 1Combine mango, sugar, lemongrass, ginger, vanilla bean and seeds and 1½ cups water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook for 5-7 minutes or until mango is pulpy, remove from heat and pass through a muslin-lined fine sieve. Discard solids. Add lime juice, stir to combine and transfer to a sterile bottle. Store in refrigerator until required.
- 2To serve, mix cordial with mineral water or filtered water to taste, squeeze in lime juice to taste, add sliced mango and ice and serve with a lemongrass swizzle stick.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am