Mussels and potatoes are one of those natural pairings - they're just right together. You can also cook the tortilla completely in the oven. Once the egg and cream mixture is added to the pan, bake it at 180C until it's set.
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 kg black mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350 gm waxy potatoes, such as kipfler or Dutch cream, scrubbed, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 baby fennel bulb (about 300gm), thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp pouring cream
- 1Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat, add mussels, cover with a lid and shake pan occasionally until mussels open (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat, cool slightly, then remove mussels from shells (discard shells and any unopened mussels), set aside.
- 2Heat remaining olive oil in a 25cm-diameter frying pan, add onion and garlic and sauté over low-medium heat until caramelised (7-8 minutes). Add potato and fennel, increase heat to medium-high and sauté until potato is tender (8-10 minutes), then stir through mussels.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat a grill on high heat. Whisk eggs and cream in a bowl to combine, season to taste, add to potato mixture. Push cooked outer edges into the centre with a fork until edges set (4-5 minutes), then grill until golden and just set (3-4 minutes). Serve hot.