Pine mushrooms may have pine needles attached, but don’t discard these. Clean the needles, along with the mushrooms, and add for extra flavour.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 gm butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 small pine mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 800 gm (about 3) large desiree potatoes
- 3 egg yolks
- 80 gm (½ cup) black olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 110 gm (¾ cup) plain flour
- 1For gnocchi, bring potatoes to boil in a large saucepan, cook until tender (25-30 minutes). Drain, peel and pass through a potato ricer into a bowl. Beat in egg yolks, add olives and flour and gently work mixture together. Turn onto a floured work surface and, using your hands, roll into 2cm-thick logs. Cut logs widthways into 1½cm pieces, pinch in the sides of each piece slightly and set aside.
- 2Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add gnocchi and simmer over medium heat until they float to the surface (2-3 minutes). Transfer to a tray to keep warm.
- 3Heat olive oil and butter in a large frying pan, when butter starts to foam, add garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (2-3 minutes). Add gnocchi, gently toss until coated, scatter with parsley and serve immediately.