- softened butter, For brushing
- 1.5 kg yellow peaches (about 8), halved, stones removed, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 sugar cubes, coarsely crushed
- thickened cream, To serve
- 300 gm plain flour (2 cups)
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 150 gm cold unsalted butter, finely chopped
- 200 ml milk
- 1For cardamom crust, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and ½ tsp salt into a bowl. Add butter and rub in with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine crumbs (5 minutes). Add milk and mix to combine, then gently knead until mixture comes together.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Brush four 350ml ovenproof dishes with butter. Combine peach, sugar and cornflour in a bowl and spoon into dishes. Form heaped tablespoons of cardamom dough into rough balls and arrange over peaches to cover, scatter with sugar cubes and bake until golden and bubbling (35-40 minutes). Serve hot with cream.
This recipe is from the February 2012 issue of .