Try this pickle alongside roast pork, duck or goose and you won't be sorry. It would also go perfectly with a salad of grilled quail, extra-virgin olive oil-dressed rocket leaves and a good scattering of pecorino or crumble of feta. Makes 2 litres.
- 500 ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
- 375 ml (1½ cups) red wine vinegar
- 330 gm (1½ cups) caster sugar
- 10 cloves
- 6 juniper berries
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 9 firm, ripe peaches, cut into wedges
- 1Combine vinegars, sugar, spices, bay leaves and 2 tsp sea salt in a saucepan. Stir occasionally over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil over high heat, add peaches and cook for 1 minute, then transfer peaches to sterilised jars with a slotted spoon. Pour in syrup, seal jars, stand until cooled, then store in refrigerator. Peach pickle will keep refrigerated for 2-3 weeks after opening.