This recipe is based on one from Darina Allen's book . We've included peaches along with the raspberry jam - it's one of the finest combinations of summer fruits.
- 600 ml warm milk
- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (see note)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 250 gm raspberry jam
- 650 gm yellow peaches (about 4½), halved, stones removed, cut into wedges
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Stir warm milk and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling, transfer to a bowl with breadcrumbs, 25gm sugar, vanilla and lemon rind and set aside to soak (10 minutes).
- 2Whisk egg yolks into breadcrumb mixture, pour into a buttered 1.5-litre baking dish, bake until just set (20-25 minutes), spread with jam and scatter with peach wedges.
- 3Whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes), then, whisking continuously, gradually add remaining sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy (2-3 minutes). Spoon in peaks over peaches and bake until golden brown (12-15 minutes). Serve hot.
Vanilla bean paste is available from select delicatessens and supermarkets.
This recipe is from the February 2012 issue of