- 20 ml grapeseed oil (1 tbsp)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, bruised
- 1 litre chicken stock (4 cups)
- 2 celeriac, peeled (about 1.8kg)
- 240 gm spunta potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 ripe Packham pears, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm Roquefort Papillon, crumbled, plus extra to serve (see note)
- 300 ml pouring cream
- To serve: finely grated fresh nutmeg
- 1Heat grapeseed oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft but not coloured (about 10 minutes). Add stock, celeriac and potato and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until celeriac is very soft (about 45 minutes). Cool, add pears, Roquefort and cream, stir to combine. Using a blender, process in batches until smooth. Add water to thin if needed. Strain through a coarse sieve and serve scattered with nutmeg. Makes about 3 litres.
Substitute this French unpasteurised cheese with any other creamy blue cheese.
Drink Suggestion: Off-dry chenin blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen