These doughnuts are made from a cake-like batter. Serve with Turkish delight and pistachios, if you like.
- 75 gm pistachio kernels
- 320 gm plain flour
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml milk (1 cup)
- 60 gm butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 120 gm caster sugar
- 2 small strawberries, crushed
- 225 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 3 tsp rosewater, or to taste
- 1Process pistachios in a food processor until finely ground, transfer to a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, orange rind, vanilla seeds and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine, make a well in the centre, then add milk, butter and egg. Mix until smooth, transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 2cm-fluted nozzle, refrigerate to rest for 1 hour.
- 2For rosewater glaze, combine sugar and 50ml water in a small saucepan, stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, add strawberries, simmer until syrupy (2-3 minutes). Strain into a heatproof bowl (discard pulp), add icing sugar, whisk until smooth, then whisk in rosewater and set aside (thin with a little water to drizzling consistency if necessary.)
- 3Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or deep-sided saucepan to 180C. Pipe 8cm-diameter rings onto squares of lightly oiled baking paper. Slide rings, in batches, into oil and cook, turning occasionally, until puffed, golden and cooked through (3-4 minutes; be careful as hot oil may spit). Drain on absorbent paper, then, while still warm, drizzle with rosewater glaze and place on a cooling rack until glaze sets. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am