You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 200 gm brown sugar
- 80 ml Shaoxing wine
- 80 ml soy sauce (1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar (see note)
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 kg pork ribs
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- ½ tsp roasted and finely ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 1Combine sugar, Shaoxing, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and Sichuan pepper in a bowl, add ribs and refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- 2For Sichuan salt, combine ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- 3Heat oven to 170C. Cook ribs in a roasting pan lined with baking paper until tender (30-45 minutes). Scatter with Sichuan salt and coriander, and serve hot with lemon wedges alongside.
Chinkiang vinegar is a Chinese black rice vinegar, available from Asian grocers.
This recipe is from the February 2013 issue of
Drink Suggestion: Rustic, spicy red grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen