Rice dishes are just about the best things you can cook in one pan. Here, the pumpkin lends a sweetness which is balanced by the aromatics of the vermouth.
- 60 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 700 gm butternut pumpkin, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1.25 litres chicken or vegetable stock (5 cups)
- 6 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 gm vialone nano rice (1 cup)
- 160 ml dry vermouth
- 60 gm mascarpone, plus extra to serve (¼ cup)
- 25 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve (1/3 cup)
- 1Heat half the butter and half the olive oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add pumpkin and stir occasionally until pumpkin begins to caramelise (8-10 minutes), then remove from pan. Add chicken stock to pan, scrape base of pan with a wooden spoon and bring to the boil, then transfer to a jug and keep warm. Wipe saucepan clean.
- 2Add remaining butter and oil to saucepan with shallot and garlic and stir frequently over medium heat until shallot is tender (5-10 minutes). Add rice and stir for 1 minute to coat, then add vermouth and cook until absorbed (2-3 minutes). Add pumpkin with 250ml stock and stir frequently until stock is absorbed (3-5 minutes), then add remaining stock 250ml at a time, stirring until stock is absorbed before adding more. Cook until rice is al dente and pumpkin has broken down and coloured the risotto (20-25 minutes). Stir through mascarpone and parmesan, season to taste, serve immediately with extra parmesan.
Drink Suggestion: Pear and anise-scented white arneis. Drink suggestion by Max Allen