- 1.4 kg butternut pumpkin, seeds removed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 25 gm (1/3 cup) finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- To serve: bitter green salad
- 450 gm (3 cups) plain flour
- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 120 gm lard
- 1Spread pumpkin on an oven tray, drizzle with olive oil, roast until tender (35-40 minutes), cool to room temperature.
- 2Meanwhile, for shortcrust pastry, combine flour and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl, add butter and lard, rub in with fingertips until combined. Add 60ml cold water, bring together with your hands, turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until just combined. Wrap pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180C. Roll out pastry to 5mm thick on a lightly floured surface, cut out six 15cm-diameter rounds and line six 10cm-diameter loose-bottomed tart tins. Blind bake for 15 minutes, remove pastry weights and paper, continue baking until golden (5-10 minutes). Set aside.
- 3Transfer pumpkin to a food processor and process until smooth, stir in eggs, parmesan and spices, season to taste. Divide evenly among pastry cases, bake until pumpkin just sets (15-20 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature with a bitter green salad, scattered with extra parmesan.
Drink Suggestion: An old riesling or marsanne. Drink suggestion by Max Allen